Thursday, January 05, 2006

The Heart

Abu Utbah al-Khawlaanee reported that the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) said:

‏ إن لله آنية من أهل الأرض وآنية ربكم قلوب عباده الصالحين وأحبها إليه ألينها وأرقها

"Truly, Allaah has vessels from amongst the people of the earth, and the vessels of your Lord are the hearts of his righteous slaves, and the Most beloved of them to Him are the softest and most tender ones"

- Tabarani, ['Kashf al-Khafaa (no. 2256)]

Al-Albani declared it Hasan: ['Silsilah as-Saheehah' (no.1691)]

-Source




As for the more famous version:


"Neither My Heaven nor My earth can contain Me, but the soft humble heart of my believing servant can contain Me".
- Reported by al-Ghazali in the Ihya

Al-Haafidh al-Iraaqee (the Shaykh of ibn Hajr) said in his notes to 'al-Ihyaa', "I find no basis for it." And as-Suyutee agreed with him, following az-Zarkashee.






God says, "Neither My heaven nor My earth embraces Me, but the heart of my believing servant does embrace Me." Anyone who says that the heart is this piece of meat is more of an unbeliever and worse than a Christian. He is worse than the one who says that Jesus is the son of God.

- Shams Tabrizi [1]




--------
1. Me & Rumi, pg 126.

No comments: